Sad but true, the EEOC was recently forced to hold a public hearing because of a disturbing trend: certain companies nationwide had been excluding unemployed applicants when hiring. Their ads specifically stated that they would only consider employed job candidates. Phrases in the ads included “No unemployed candidates will be considered at all” and “Client will not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed, regardless of the reason.”
As disheartening and discriminatory as this may be, it’s not illegal. And although employers should understand that many high quality candidates were simply victims of this particularly severe recession, some are clinging to the outdated mindset that someone who was laid off must have been a poor worker or the weakest link.
How can you protect yourself against this practice? By keeping yourself employed, as best you can, even if not in your field. And one of the best, easiest ways to do this is by hiring on with a staffing agency.
If you’re still hesitant, look at it this way. Working for a staffing agency will:
- Spice up your resume. Through staffing agency jobs, you can get experience in several different areas while you apply for full-time work.
- Help you get your foot in the door. According to various studies, 75% of people who do temp employment wind up getting a full-time job offer out of it.
- Provide you with a paycheck while you look for permanent work.
- Give you benefits, such as paid holidays, health insurance, and even 401K plans.
- Boost your mental health. Many unemployed workers fall victim to feelings of worthlessness and depression. If you have a job to get up and go to every day, you’re going to feel like a contributing member of society, even if it isn’t the right job.
- Help you figure out if changing careers is the right move. With temp employment, you get a taste of different jobs – without actually plunging head-first into a whole new industry.
- Open up a whole new avenue of networking. You will meet new people who may be helpful in your job search.
The biggest benefit to working with a staffing agency? It keeps you working, eliminating large gaps in your resume, which can be a red flag to employers.
Don’t let unemployment prevent you from getting a new job. Sign on with a reputable staffing agency, and you can keep yourself afloat professionally and financially while looking for a full-time opportunity.