The job interview can be the most exciting as well as the most nerve racking component of the job search. While being invited to an interview serves as a strong signal from the employer that you are being considered for the position, this crucial conversation can truly make or break your chances at receiving the job offer. For job seekers prone to interview anxiety, the fear of saying the wrong things that could potentially take them out of the running can be a huge source of stress. If you feel that you fall into this category, take a deep breath. One of the best ways to overcome job interview anxiety is to begin feeling good about the process. Take a look at these 5 proven tips to begin building your interviewing confidence today.
- Do your homework. One of the best ways to build job interview confidence is to conduct thorough research on the company as well as the position. Demonstrating your knowledge of the company’s background information or future goals for the position makes a great impression by showing the interviewer that you are serious about the job.
- Find sample questions. Although each job and company will be different, there are several common questions that most interviewers like to ask their potential candidates. Locate some sample interview questions online to grasp the kinds of questions you can expect to be asked. Review these questions and come up with great, honest answers focused on how you personally can help the employer or the company.
- Practice makes perfect. Practicing before the day of the interview is a great way to build confidence and avoid feeling caught off guard. Consider answering questions in front of a mirror to read your own facial expressions and body language or have a friend act as the interviewer to help simulate the actual interview environment.
- Clean up your history. The digital age has provided us with many unique situations that were not always prevalent in decades past. While you’ll want to make sure you present yourself in the best light during your interview, you’ll also want to make sure you present yourself professionally across all forms of media. Today, many companies conduct background checks through search engines, so it is imperative to make sure your social networking profiles are professional.
- Know your worth. It is not uncommon to be asked salary expectations during an interview, so preparing an answer is recommended. In addition to the salary figure, be sure to consider work-life balance, expected working hours, benefits, and growth opportunities. Give this total package some serious thought before the interview so you can be prepared to discuss appropriate questions and provide a realistic answer.
Job interviews can be daunting, but building interview confidence is nothing a little preparation and practice can’t achieve. Springborn Staffing thrives on matching job seekers with superior opportunities and providing best in-class personnel solutions to businesses throughout the greater Bangor, Maine area. If you are looking to jumpstart your job search, contact Springborn Staffing today!