Even if you have several reasons why you crave a career change, it’s imperative to evaluate your motivation for this transition before you take the plunge. Make sure you are ready – moving into a new industry requires your full commitment and a solid strategy.
Give serious thought to the reasons behind your decision by answering three questions:
- Why do I want to change careers?
- How will a career change affect my life?
- What are the risks?
Once you feel confident that the benefits outweigh the risks, it’s time to get your ducks in a row. Following are a few suggestions to get you on the path to your new career.
- Know the industry you want to join. Research companies, professional associations, and industry-related blogs.
- Set up informational interviews with people within the industry.
- Peruse job postings and review the descriptions. Evaluate which of your core skills relate to functions within the job posting.
- Evaluate how your specific background, skills, and accomplishments are transferable to a new industry.
- Determine if you need to take an online course or earn a certification.
- Revise your resume. For example, if you’re an IT professional desiring to follow your passion for graphic design, instead of focusing on IT, focus on how your IT skills enhance your graphic design proficiencies. Ensure that everything you do from this point on relates to the industry you’re seeking to enter.
- Update your online social media profiles – ensuring that they coincide with your resume, as well as the professionalism you wish to project.
- Build another line in your network. Join online social media groups that relate to your “new industry.” Connect with people, comment on posts, ask questions, make yourself known.
- Attend industry-specific conferences and networking events.
- Build credibility within the industry.
Overall, career changes are common; people become bored and need new challenges, or want to pursue their passions. Switching to an entirely new career is possible if you take the necessary measures. It’s not a quick endeavor, however, your level of dedication, hard work and commitment will determine the end result!
can help. We specialize in helping talent connect with the best industry for them. That’s one of the reasons why we are the leading staffing agency in Bangor and Portland, Maine.