December, being the last month of the year, cannot help but make us think of what is to come.”
The hustle and bustle of the holidays is an exciting time in Maine – Bangor, and Portland, as well as area communities, offer various fun and family-oriented activities, but don’t forget to pause and consider the coming year. Reflect on ways to enhance the quality of your life and career. We’re not talking about unrealistic New Year’s Resolutions that haven’t a hope for making it past January, but rather, a deep down reflection on your career and personal goals.
What can you do in 2018 to grow personally and in your career?
4 Ways to Enhance Your Career
- Earn a new certificate – You can improve on what you already know or learn something entirely new. Either will help you move forward in your career.
- Participate in a webinar – or attend an industry conference. The “Never Stop Learning” turns into a career that never stagnates.
- Write a white paper on an industry topic, post it on your LinkedIn account, and then ask for comments – including opposing views. A lively discussion not only stretches your boundaries but puts your name out there as an industry expert.
- Volunteer your skills. It enhances your skills, builds your experience, and broadens your network – all while giving back to your community – a win/win for everyone.
4 ways to Enhance Your Personal Life
- Create a book list for 2018 – and then read the books. Choose industry books, self-help books, literary works, and daily meditations, as well as fiction and humor. Stretch those wings. If you aren’t an avid reader, try audio books.
- Attend concerts, community events, festivals – anything that either stretches your mind, adds joy to your days, or both.
- Do something specifically to challenge yourself. Whether it’s eating healthier, getting more exercise, improving time-management skills, or making different choices in your budget, pick an area you want to grow in and invest yourself. Take a course, join a support group, engage a friend to do it with you – just do it.
- Expand your horizons. It can be as simple as driving a new route to work or as big as taking a travel vacation – to somewhere you’ve never been; learning to prepare a different recipe or trying a new restaurant; learning a new sport or art form, etc. Be adventurous.
Sometimes the best way to move forward is to clear out all the muck that holds you down. If a current activity drains you, cross it off the list; if a relationship is toxic, find ways to heal it or dump it; If your job is a poor fit, consider a move – or even a career change.
Springborn Staffing is here to help you. We offer career opportunities for talented job seekers. From temporary job openings and temp-to-hire to long-term opportunities that help you meet career goals, we’ve got your back. We know Maine employers – really well – what kind of people they hire, what it’s like to work there. We often know about jobs before they’re posted. Contact us today and make 2018 your best year.