Goal-setting can enhance every aspect of your career by giving you a visual road map of where you want to go and how to get there.
Whether you are a recent college graduated, initiating a switch your career journey, or considering your path toward a fulfilling retirement, careful planning will allow you to accomplish everything you desire. Now is the time to think about what you truly want.
The Thought Process
Take some “me time” to soul search; discover who you are and where you want to be in five or ten years. Answer these questions:
- What are your passions?
- What boosts your adrenaline?
- What ignites your joy?
Analyze your skill set:
- What are your strong points?
- What abilities are you known for?
- Do you prefer leading or following?
- What skills do you lack, or need to improve?
Determine your definition of a perfect job?
- What type of work culture suits you?
- What benefits are essential to you?
- What kind of paycheck do you want?
Lights, Camera, Action
After completing this exercise, you are ready to begin the planning process. For example:
Scene I – About You
- You love working with numbers, but work in another capacity in the non-profit sector
- Your goal is to become an accountant in a small firm
- You have a college degree, but not in the field you desire
- You want to work for a firm that is family-oriented and values work-life balance
- You would like the opportunity to work from home and want flex time to pursue your artistic endeavors
Scene 2 – Initial Actions
- Evaluate the accounting
- Connect with others who work in the accounting industry through LinkedIn, or other social media channels.
- Get a couple “day in the life” experiences at smaller accounting firms.
- Evaluate educational requirements. How many of your credits are transferrable, and which courses do you need to take? How long it will take to achieve, and what are the costs? Will any local accounting firms allow you to work while pursuing your education?
Scene 3 – Reality vs. Possibilities
- Establish realistic goals.
- Break them down into small orchestrated steps.
- Set personal deadlines for each step.
- Include a little dreaming.
- Compile the information you collected in a format that makes sense.
- Create a clear, concise plan and keep it in plain sight to monitor your progress every step of the way.
Closing the Curtain: To sum up, never dismiss the possibility of achieving your dream career. If you are deciding on a profession, need new challenges, or want to pursue your passions, it’s possible when you take the necessary measures. Spend time creating a viable, and realistic career plan. Add dedication, hard work, and commitment.
Get some help from the team of experts at Springborn Staffing. We specialize in helping you connect with the best industry for your career goals. Contact us today and discover why we are the leading staffing agency in Bangor and Portland, Maine.