Labor Day is coming soon, and friends and families will take full advantage of this three-day weekend and last hurrah of summer. Picnics, barbecues, firework displays, parties, and parades are widespread. Excitement peaks as the new school year has gotten off to a great start, and football fans gear up for the long-awaited football season.
But it’s more than a holiday weekend. Since the early 19th century, the first Monday in September has been designated as Labor Day; a day set aside to honor the social and economic achievements of the American worker. A well-deserved honor, since the hard work and contributions of our American workforce, plays a significant role in the development and growth of America, the greatest country in the world.
As a business owner or upper management, Labor Day is also a time to demonstrate appreciation for the hard work and contributions of your workforce. Your employees are the foundation of your business, without whom it could not succeed.
Go beyond the holiday weekend and take specific steps to show your employees how much you appreciate them.
Worker Appreciation Ideas
- Offer early dismissal on Friday preceding the holiday.
- Give achievement awards to staff and teams who went above and beyond the call of duty.
- Have a pizza day.
- Get the team spirit going with a potluck lunch; spice it up with prizes for the best home-cooked dish.
- Space permitting, host a parking lot barbecue.
- Designate the week leading up to the holiday as “dress-down”
Year-Round Staff Appreciation
There are many ways to show staff appreciation in the week leading up to Labor Day, but appreciation, in general, should be a year-round practice. Respect and gratitude that begin at the top of the organizational chart and flow downward build a reliable team and encourage company loyalty.
- Create an environment that invites workers to share their thoughts, opinions, and innovative ideas in a fearless environment.
- Engage workers and empower them to be part of your decision-making process.
- Create an open-door policy to allow for open communication, including all staff levels.
- Listen to what your employees have to say without checking email or looking at your cell phone.
Let Springborn Staffing find the best talent for your industry. From temp staffing to direct hire, we have access to a broad base of candidates. We specialize in finding mutually beneficial connections between our candidates/associates and our clients. Trust Maine’s leading staffing provider – that’s us – and contact us today. We’ll make a difference. We do more than promise excellence. We stand behind our employees’ performance – 100% guaranteed.