It’s time to get back into the swing of things at work, to buckle down and get the year off to a great start. Right? Unfortunately, the long dark and cold winter days combined with the typical after-holiday let down can quickly turn in to the blahs and blues.
Here are a few suggestions to help get you back in the rhythm.
Instead of thinking about how much you miss your recent vacation, accept the holidays’ end, and focus on the beautiful memories you shared. Be present and be grateful for the time you had with family and friends, and create a new thought pattern. More importantly, recognize that it’s normal to feel sad post-holiday season. The key is what you do with those feelings.
- Why? The “why” you work can help swing you back to work mode. Give yourself reasons why you work. Are you looking for a home, adding to the family, taking additional training, etc.? Bottom line: you need your salary.
- Switch it up: Instead of going back to your regular blah workday routine, change it up. Plan a monthly lunch with colleagues and find new spots to try.
- Continue Giving Back: Keep the feel-good spirit of giving going by creating a volunteer group for organizations in need. Even though the holidays are over, people still need help and support. Giving back is a feel-good activity you and your colleagues could share and helps you feel good.
- Balance: Make sure you keep your balance during this period. Not all work, not all play will keep you balanced.
- Overwhelming: Don’t become overwhelmed with the plethora of work that awaits you. Get organized and prioritize your tasks. Don’t forget to throw in a few enjoyable tasks. Put everything else on the back burner.
- Emails: Set specific times to focus on emails. Give it your dedicated attention for a designated number of minutes and then get on with the rest of your responsibilities.
- Jumpstart your days: Set your alarm 20 minutes earlier than you need. It will allow you to stop and pick up a coffee or your favorite latte’ and still arrive early. Enjoy the pleasure of your drive in the least amount of traffic, as well as the quiet of an office before the rush arrives.
Going to work when it’s dark and cold can be a challenge. (Especially after the holidays) It’s normal to feel bummed out, but don’t let it rule you. Get some help from the team of experts at Springborn Staffing. We specialize in helping you connect with the best industry for your career goals. Contact us today and discover why we are the leading staffing agency in Bangor and Portland, Maine.